2013/03/21

the best snowfall of the year

I finally crawled out of bed at about 3:41 A.M. this morning. For a while before that, I kept waking briefly, looking at the clock and going back to sleep. When the intervals got down to a minute or so, I realized that I had to get up. I think I looked at that clock 10 times in the last 15 minutes.

George had been left outside on Wednesday afternoon. He kept pestering me to feed him as I was trying to get to sleep. The obvious solution - since he had been fed only six hours before - was to put him out. He likes it out there anyway and often spends the nights out of doors, prowling and hunting. He's even lost three pounds since last fall.

And so I went to the door at a quarter to four and opened it. O the Joy! The greatest amount of snow we've had up here all winter long. I didn't even know that it was in the forecast, and slept through the entire storm. The sky was completely clear when I let the cat in this morning.

The three of us took a nice little walk around the property. George pooped out on us about halfway through and just sat there in the snow until we got back to that spot again. There is four or five inches of snow down in the field, and two to three up in the yard. I made a lot of snowballs for Rocko, and he chased the snowballs and the cat, growling. Snow makes him so excited and happy.

The road is a proper mess. One plow/salt/sand truck has been through in the five hours that I've been awake, and the road is encrusted with bumpy ice. The temperature must have dropped suddenly as the snow fell; the trees and boulders have icy encrustations (not icy crustaceans, except in the creek).

I'd really love to talk about the 10th anniversary of Shock and Awe or the continuing intransigence of House Republicans, but I'm just not feeling it.

"House Republicans." For some reason that suddenly sounds to me like a pejorative term like House N-word.

I'll just leave that there for you to think about, and go open the window shade so I can see the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment