2011/01/12

happy snow-free anniversary

I heard on the news this morning that today, Florida is the only one of the 50 states that has no snow on the ground. We lose again! There is a freeze expected tonight, though.

The good news (I consider "no snow" to be bad news) is that today is my 3rd anniversary of my last drinks. There is, after all, no such thing as one drink for an alcoholic; thus that last cold night in January 2008 became a bit of a party. All of my fellow homeless drunks were happy for me - both because I was getting help, and because I picked up all the loose change before they could get to it - except for Sue S., with whom I had become very close. She knew that she was losing me forever. I have a way that I might be able to contact her through the same group that helped me.

The winter migrations have brought hundreds of robins as well as mourning doves, nuthatches and woodpeckers. Just in time for a particular variety of tree to put out its berries. Stupid birds, plutching blue mess on everything.

And so, on this fine, windy and cold day, I'll be hitting a meeting or two. The meeting I usually attend doesn't give out the brass medallions (and I want one) but they know me. On the other hand, the 5 PM meeting at the same clubhouse does give out the medallions, and most of the folks I know from noon are there for the 5 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment