2010/09/23

giving thanks

Neither Lisa nor I typically celebrate Holidays with a capital "H" (Christmas, St. Valentine's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc.). As I am feeling particularly blessed this morning, I thought that I could toss out some messages of thanks.

Thank you, Bill Cameron, for encouraging me and providing emotional support over the years. If I ever get to the U.K. (or Murcia) I will do my best to meet you in person.

Thank you, Vivian Miller and Lee Marks. During my darkest days on the streets of Tallahassee, both of you made me feel like a human being. Vivian, you provided emotional support and even gave me food and money the one time we met in person. Lee, you tolerated my presence at the car wash (probably because I always left it cleaner than I found it) and let me earn a few bucks once in a while.

Thank you, Bobby Martin, for taking a chance on me at GDLS. When I started drinking again after a couple of years and started missing work, you gave me second, third, and tenth chances to get my act together. The day you finally fired me, your eyes were wet and red; you said that letting me go was the hardest thing you had ever done. You told me that I was the best designer you ever hired. Those talents have lain fallow since then (and you scolded me for that once), but I keep that nugget of praise in my heart. I told you that day that I understood that I had forced the firing with my own behavior and we parted with tears in our eyes.

Thank you, Dale Berry. We shared the corner cube in the drafting room and became true friends, not just coworkers. After my ignominious departure we kept our lines of communication open, and you provided shelter for me occasionally as I fell into the abyss. (Hey, do you still have Anna's painting? I'm stable enough to provide a good home for it now. Thank you for preserving it.)

Thank you, Eric Henderson. You were more than a boss. The first day we worked together, you kind of scared me, but I love the fact that you don't pull your punches. And you, too, had enough faith in me to give me real help when you saw need. One of the things I have to let go of (but not forget) is what happened the last time I stayed at your house. My actions were inexcusable. I am truly sorry, but - for my health's sake - I cannot hang on to the guilt. Thank you for your help, encouragement and tolerance.

Thank you, Greg Fenlong, with whom I am connected by karma. Our fathers were coworkers and so were we. Whenever I visited Rochester, you gave me friendship and a place to sleep for the night.

Thank you, Bret Oglesby, for helping me find the way out.

Thank you, Judi, for putting up with me for eleven years while I played grown-up with our beautiful old house, kids, dogs, cats and goats. By the way, our house is online here. And of course thank you for raising our children so well.

Thank you, Lisa, for plucking me from the ether and making me truly human at last.

And of course many thanks to my family; too many to mention.

Thank you to everyone who has ever believed in me when I didn't believe in myself.

1 comment:

  1. I've just seen your lovely comments - many thanks indeed :)

    If I ever get to Florida again I'd certainly enjoy meeting you - take care (both of you).

    Best regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete