2014/03/12

oh boy, my weekend is here

I'm in a really bad mood and am more than ready for a couple of days off. Today would have been my mother's 72nd birthday. I don't think that has anything to do with my mood, though.

Last night I worked my ass off, doing my usual 8-hours-worth-of-work-in-4-hours thing. I have to get most everything done by 3 AM, because that's when I start cooking. By 4 AM, when I finish cooking, the morning rush begins so I am not free to run around the store getting things done. I am supposed to get two 15-minute breaks during the night but most of the time I can't justify that to myself. I might get 10 minutes of down time all night long.

At my other job, I have to try to stretch less than 4 hours' worth of work over 8 hours. And there are far fewer customers at that store, so nearly every night drags; I have time to go out for a smoke (though I rarely do), eat, and read the paper, with time to spare. I'd rather be too busy than bored.

Yesterday I finally applied for insurance through healthcare.gov and, because I am a user of tobacco, I will have to pay a little bit: $67/month, to be exact. That's roughly what I was paying for medical insurance at my first job, 33 years ago, that was less comprehensive than what I have now. Not bad, thanks to the subsidy for low-income individuals. A rather high deductible, $5,000 or $6,000, but all I need on a regular basis is refills of my generic medication and that's covered. Free doctor visits and free generic prescriptions.

It strikes me as rather humorous that I, a staunch supporter of the Affordable Care Act, would have waited to long to sign up; too bad there's no medical treatment for procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment