2013/10/28

truck hunters and a leaf peeper

My morning nap was interrupted by the baying of hounds and a "wuff" from Rocko.

At first I thought that it was just the neighbor's hounds, but there were too many and they sounded like they were in the front yard rather than down the road. I got up and looked out the kitchen window. There were five pickup trucks parked in front of my house and a half-dozen older hunters were out there, looking up the steep bank on the other side of the street. A couple of the guys were busy getting control of the hounds and trying to send them straight up the bank. The first couple of dogs went up (and I could here still more of them baying up on the mountain above) but the last two balked and were unceremoniously tossed back into one of the trucks.

A couple of the hunters walked a short distance down the road to the actual trail that gets you up on the mountainside. A little while later I heard one shotgun blast. Soon most of the trucks and hunters went south a few hundred feet and parked off the road. One pickup truck remained for a while.

Just before the last truck left, I looked out the front window again. This time I saw a little red sedan parked in the yard directly in front of my house. Then a youngish guy came into view, heading for the car. He was carrying a camera and I suppose he took a picture or two of my scenic overlook.

Looking roughly northeast from my yard, 2013-10-24 at 11:39 AM EDT.
This was arguably the peak color day at my place.
It is now just over 37 hours until the one-year anniversary of Lisa's passing. Sometimes I get the sense that she is with me out in the yard or, occasionally, here in the house. A couple of times I've felt her invite me to go down and sit on her Reflecting Rock, where she used to sit to reflect, and I have accepted the invitation. Teresa and I are planning to go up to the Devil's Courthouse to spread Lisa's ashes on Wednesday. The weather is supposed to be nice and there won't be any weekend crowd.

Lisa had told me that she wanted her ashes thrown off of the Devil's Courthouse long before we even considered moving up here and before I had even seen a picture of the Courthouse. Now that we're here it is just a few miles' drive from home.

Lisa talking to a ranger at the Devil's Courthouse on 30 September 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment