2012/10/12

my precioussssss ... snow tires

I found them! The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R winter tires, that is, the ones that I covet now that winter's a-coming.

Once upon a time I had a set of Hakkapeliitta studless snow tires. That was back in the 1990's, I think, when I lived in Western New York's lake snow belt. The day that I bought them, I had been planning to get my usual set of aggressive snow tires with ice studs added. The tire guy - he had a little, one-bay-one-room-one-man shop near the railroad tracks in Newark, NY - suggested that I try these "Nokia" tires. They didn't even have holes for studs to be added.

That seemed like a bold statement right there: snow tires so good you don't need ice studs. And these were a hell of a lot cheaper than the Blizzak tires I had heard advertised.

So I bought them. I both loved and trusted them. They were the best snow tires I've ever had, and I've never forgotten them. I couldn't tell you any other tires I had for my cars over the years, but those Nokians ... wow.

These tires are so good for winter driving that they are a running joke with Click and Clack, and not just because of the funny name. Climbing Pike's Peak in a blizzard? "You're gonna hafta get yourself a set of Nokia Hakkapeliittas! Yuk yuk Yuk!"

It's funny because it's true! Heh heh heh.

Of course, now that we're looking at a real winter coming up in the Smokies (so "they" say), I want my Hakkapeliittas again. I searched online for a local dealer. It looks like I'll have to drive to the other side of Asheville, but I can live with that if it means that I drive home on my preciousssssss tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment